Turtle 5 comes with dozens of new features, like the improved shopping experience with bulk ordering and coupon codes, or the new feedback tool, still many of them is behind the scenes, like the substantially reworked touch event handling, which brings a much smoother mobile experience.
Skin version: 3.4.6
Turtle skin has such an extensive feature set – I guess even the most experienced of you can find something new. To get into Turtle skin settings either click the little skin icon next to the skin chooser in jAlbum or press F4.
Show top navigation
Select to display a multi-level, site-wide top navigation menu at the top of the index page.
You can exclude the folders and display only the custom pages.
Include a logo at the top left corner of the navigation bar, linked to the top level album page. The max size is 180x40px. Suggested format: 8bit transparent PNG.
Link from the top level page
Adds a link which takes you one level up from the top level page. You can use any absolute or relative URL, not just the one level up (../).
Use breadcrumb path
Breadcrumb path is the clickable path of upper-level folders.
Use search box
Add an album-wide search box to your albums. Can search in the Title, Comment, Keywords and Face tag fields.
Skip thumbnail page
Visitors will taken straight to the first image in the album. However if there are sub-albums, you can’t skip the thumbnail page.
Offer download for…
- Nothing = to turn off this feature
- Scaled-down images = allow visitors to download the screen resolution images in the current folder packed as ZIP file
- Originals = allow visitors to download the original images as ZIP file, even if you did not include them normally in the album
- The whole album = visitors can download the whole album packed as ZIP file
Please note, albums using extended (accented) characters in file or folder names cannot be properly unzipped on Windows, because Windows decodes these characters mapping to the viewer PC’s default character set, while Java encodes always with UTF-8 encoding (which is capable of representing any character in any language). The files can be restored properly on every other OS though.
You might’ve missed it, but Turtle skin can be used to sell your photos or products too. To use this option you need to hold a Pro license or a Power storage account with jAlbum. Although the payment is routed through Paypal or Google Checkout, your customers don’t need to be signed up with these payment processors, they can simply use their credit card as well. Here’s how you can create an album with a shopping cart, and how the visitors see the process.
Creating the album
First collect the photos (of the products) you want to sell, and create a new album in the jAlbum application.
- Add the photos by the Add button or by dragging them onto jAlbum
- Choose Turtle skin
- Add an image to be used as “Theme image” on the index page. Right-click → Use as folder thumbnail, and Right-click → Exclude
- Switch to Edit mode (Pencil icon) and add captions to your items with the details of the product (you can use HTML code too in the captions)